Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Battle

Battle- noun. Webster's definition- an extended contest, struggle, or controversy

This past Sunday I went to a mission welcome home report and two down syndrome missionaries got up and bore their testimonies before the returning missionary. From one of the elder's testimony I wrote down the following:
"I won't give up. I'm a fighter and I will fight."
Here's someone who was given a struggle from the beginning of their life. But he will not let that deter him from what he is here to do; that's why he is serving a full-time mission.

I like to write poems. 
That's some personal information about me that I hardly ever share. But I want to share this one that I recently wrote about our battles from a Father/child relationship.

"The Battle Prayer"

Heavenly Father-
My dear child, it is time for you to go,
It’s now your turn to enter the battle field.
I cannot walk beside, but I am within you.
There will be struggles, mistakes, and grief,
But there is joy, growth, and glory on this road you are taking.

Not everyone will be fighting for the same cause as you,
They will tell you that you are wrong and they are right.
There will be those who try to change your mind.
They will mock, laugh, and hurt you,
But stay strong, little one.

There will be others that I will place in your path,
They will help you become the warrior I envision you to be.
Some will come and go as you continue on,
But there will be others who stay and fight beside you.
I have put them in your life for a purpose.

You will not be able to understand your complete mission all at once,
But day-by-day your understanding will increase.
This knowledge will give you aid in your battles ahead.
There will be days you do not win,
But rise again.

It may seem like the battle will never end,
But I give you this promise my child,
You will come home to me if you fight faithfully.
Stay close to me,
And I will fight with you when you are too weak to fight alone.

Child-
My dear Father, I’m on my knees again.
Please keep me safe in your arms this night.
Allow my strength to recover to fight another day.
This is not an easy time,
But I know happiness is ahead.

I’ve found some of the people you warned me about.
Their spirits have turned against your great plan,
They have chosen to hurt rather than help.
When given the choice, it wasn’t always easy
But I chose your path.

Your hand is always present.
Friends and allies have come into my life and given me strength.
I know that we will not all continue on together as our paths will only cross briefly,
But there are others who will stay beside me every step of this journey.
Thank you for allowing me to have them all in my life.

I have passed through the veil and cannot fully understand your ways,
I do not understand the value of a loss until it is past.
It is then that I can see the strength I gained.
I did not understand the value of rising again,
Until rising again was my only choice.

This battle will continue to wage every day.
Help me as I struggle,
Give me strength as I fumble.
I will fight this battle for you,
And I will come home to you Father.

-Michelle Fowler

Go fight your battles with faith and help others along the way!

Much love-
M

No comments:

Post a Comment