Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Major decisions

The past couple weeks have been pretty interesting to say the least. I've had a lot on my mind and a lot on my shoulders. I'm not saying that I don't still, but I feel like a big load of that I have been able to take off these past few days. 
For the past two years my heart and mind has been dead set on majoring in photography through the BFA program at BYU-I. Well, last week I heard some very conflicting opinions from students who have been in the program and they started to add to my doubts about the major. To hear that on top of everything else that was going on I broke down; the one thing I was sure of with everything in my life, I wasn't sure of anymore. I went home and talked to my wonderful mom about it and I made a plan of action with her of steps to take to figure things out. I was going to 
1. pray, pray, and pray some more.
2. Talk to my brothers
3. Talk to some photographers I admire
4. And ultimately do what I felt was right for me

That night I prayed and read my scriptures anxiously seeking a message. What did I read in my scriptures? Nephi seeing the vision of the Tree of life. Ok, well that didn't help- at least not right then. The next night Cody had a flag football game at BYU-I that Jared, my mom, and I went too. Afterwards we went to Cody and Kinzie's apartment and we all had a little chit chat. I was hesitant to bring up what I was thinking about school, but I decided why not. I can't even begin to tell you all the things my brothers brought to my attention; everything they said I was trying to soak in and remember. I guess I should tell you what we discussed so the next part will make some sense. As I looked into the photography major, there really wasn't any room to take electives or some of the Home and Family classes I had been looking at, and I couldn't have a minor with that major. Well why not major in Home and Family? I would be able to take all the classes I was wanting to and classes that would definitely benefit me for when I become a wife and mother. 
On the way home, my attention was brought back to my patriarchal blessing. It talks about talking with my brothers when it comes time to make big decisions in my life. It made me so very grateful to have that blessing in my life and the family that I do to help me when I don't know how to help myself.
I'm so grateful for my brothers' examples and the strength they give to me

I also thought back to what I read the night before. It was about the tree of life and getting others to come and hold to the rod as well. I feel like a Home and Family major would help me have a better understanding of raising children in the gospel and how to be a better mother and example for them.
That night I also emailed a photographer who I love to follow from the east coast. I honestly didn't think she'd have the time to email me- a girl from a little town she's never heard of from the land of potatoes. But she did; she answered my questions and replaced my fears and doubts with excitement at the future I have before me. 
Today I went to BYU-I to talk to the advising center and some home and family professors about some questions I had. But before I spoke with them, I went to devotional with my friend Kaycee Turner (I'm rooming with her next semester). It was one of those talks that I thought to myself.. "Wow, how does he know what's going on in my life?" Rex D. Pinegar was the speaker and I loved every moment of his talk. 
"How are you? I'm happy" & "Faith is the force of life" were some of my favorite quotes from today's devotional.
Today was one of those days that everything seemed to fall into place with this decision in my life. It definitely wasn't an easy one, but sometimes I need to accept that our Heavenly Father has a bigger plan for me than I have for myself. Some people have told me that I'm learning to be a "professional mom" and that may be true, but I know that's where I need to be. I'm so grateful to have the family that I have. They lead me to see the future I have before me and gladly kick me in the rear when I am stubborn about it.

I'm grateful to be going to BYU-I. It is a wonderful campus and the temple in  view only adds to the spirit there.



And just so ya know...
Next time you ask me- How are you? 
I'll tell ya- I'm happy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment